Project History -- Timeline
- Summer 2001 - Aaron Kreider emails a bunch of student activist lists, finds people
interested in this project and starts discussion over email. We start a Sourceforge.net
- Fall 2001 - Aaron starts learning PHP. CampusActivism group develops a mission
and a general view of what the site will include.
- Spring 2002 - Aaron starts full-time work on site.
- April 2002 - CampusActivism.org is online and publicly available - site is somewhat
rudimentary. Traffic is about 17 visits/day. (Friendster launches a Beta site around March. It is password protected until November 2002 -- so our public release beat Friendster).
- April - December 2002 - Lots of fine-tuning, bug fixing, and slowly adding extra
- Summer 2002 - Nick Lally redesigns the website graphics. Great improvement.
- Sept 2002 - Massive outreach drive. Site traffic skyrockets to around 50 visits/day.
- Jan - Sept 2003 - Object Oriented Programming and Graphics Massive Redesign.
- Aug 2003 - Over 330 groups, 140 people, 200 events, and 90 resources have been added.
- Sept 2003 - CampusActivism 2.0 Release
- Jan-March 2004 - website traffic increases to 1000+ visits/day. Peaks at 4000, then declines.
Majority of traffic is off-topic.
- March 2004 - Added support for campaigns
- July 2004 - New homepage and navigation design for improved usability.
- July 2004 - Over 630 groups, 880 people, 240 resources, 440 events.
- Oct 2004 - Traffic back up to 3500+ visits/day. 30 new people in a typical week!
- Nov 2004 - For the past three months, users have been downloading
(or at least starting to download) over 3000 resources per month.
- April 2006 - Activism Network (3.0) first release canidate. Uses web services. New client/server format. 3200 people. 1400 groups. 370 resources. 4000+ visits/day.
- July 2006 - Activism Network (3.0) second release canidate.
- August 2006 - CampusActivism.org updated to run on Activism Network Version Three software.
- October 2006 - CampusActivism.org flirts with a Google PageRank of 7 (a good thing), traffic plummets (a bad thing).
- December 2006 - Added caching and other speed improvements. Did you notice?
- Spring/Summer 2007 - working on Activism Network 4.0 - a Network of Anything. Got tabled.
- 2008 to present - modified software to create Energy Justice Communities Map
- 2012 - 500+ resources. Best collection of activist resources on the internet. And most comprehensive activist events calendar. Traffic down to 500 visits/day.