Starting Date: 11-19-2007
Starting Time: 12:00pm
Philadelphia City Hall, West Side
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103
215-387-0919STOP THE CRIMINALIZATION OF THE AFRICAN COMMUNITY!
NO VIGILATISM • STOP POLICE BRUTALITY
Launching the Campaign: “10,000 People Against Stop and Frisk!”
What: Press Conference and Demonstration
When: Monday, November 19th 2007 at 12:00 Noon
Where: West side of City Hall, Philadelphia, PA
We are calling on all freedom loving people to:
• Join our press conference and demonstration on Monday, November 19th
• Oppose incoming Mayor Michael Nutter’s Stop and Frisk program
• Support African people’s struggle for justice, reparations & liberation by joining the Uhuru Solidarity Movement
The City has declared war against the African community! Suddenly there is a “State of Emergency” because it’s not only black people that are getting killed in Philadelphia. The media are painting all Africans as criminals, and calling for intensified vigilantism. Michael Nutter is calling for more police repression and a “Stop and Frisk” policy. The white community supports all this because we know it won’t be us that’s stopped, harassed, beaten and imprisoned or killed by the police -- all in the name of stopping the violence!
We believe the real violence, and the real crime is the brutal conditions imposed by the City government on black and Puerto Rican communities including:
• Police murders of 22 people in 2006 alone – no police have been prosecuted
• 50% of black men in Philadelphia are unemployed
• Over 40% of Philadelphians live below the poverty level
• Only 18% of Philadelphians have college degrees
• Up to 50% of those in city jails were unemployed when arrested
• Students in Philadelphia schools were under-funded by $4972 per student in 2006, while Lower Merion students were over-funded by $5146
The City government has never lifted a finger to alleviate these colonial conditions. Instead they are calling for more police, more lawlessness with Stop and Frisk, a green light for shoot to kill policies and increased vigilantism. We are calling for the white community to support the African community’s right to organize for REAL SOLUTIONS, including massive economic development, community control and social justice.
The Uhuru Solidarity Movement is a community-based organization working under the leadership of the African community-led Uhuru Movement. USM organizes white people to stand in solidari ty with the African community struggle for self-determination, reparations and liberation.
Take a stand against the theft of African lives and resources! Let’s give it back!
UHURU SOLIDARITY MOVEMENT
3733 Lancaster Avenue • Philadelphia, PA 19104
Geographical Scope: Local