Young Democratic Socialists National Conference
Thursday, June 12th:
6pm: Reception at the Debs Center (hosted by SP/DSA Louisville)
7pm: Keynote Speaker: Anne Braden
Friday, June 13th:
9am: Call to Order, Opening Business, The Socialist Internationale
10am: Activist Agenda
Noon: Lunch and Speaker: Pem Davidson Buck
1pm: Workshops A, B, C
2pm: Workshops A, B, C
3pm: Workshops A, B, C
4pm: Presidential Primaries Debate
7pm: Speaker: Carol Kramer
8pm: Entertainment: Zapat (free jazz) and Anarchist Fire Show
Saturday, June 14th:
9am: Resolutions and Amendments
Noon: Lunch and Speaker: Chris Sanders
1pm: Workshops D, E, F
2pm: Workshops D, E, F
3pm: Workshops D, E, F
4:30pm: Panel: Working in Coalitions
7pm: Doug Johnson
8pm: Entertainment: David Rovics!
Sunday, June 15th:
9am: Workshops F, G
10am: Workshops F, G
11am: Panel: Race, Class and Gender
1pm: Lunch and Speaker: Bob Cunningham
2pm: Close of Conference followed by first meeting of newly elected C.C.
- Afghanistan: U.S. Occupation Examined [Presented by C.C. Member, Peter Frase]
- Globalization [Presented by Lucas Shapiro, Ithaca YDS]
- Chapter Organizing [Presented by Katrina Ice and Michael Key, Co-Chairs of YDS]
- Campus and Community Organizing [Presented by Kevin Pranis, Grassroots Leadership Alliance]
- Event Organizing [Presented by Mateo Bernal and Jennifer Olliges, Citizens Standing Against War]
- Propaganda [Presented by Jerome Neukirch and Nick Braden, Louisville YDS/C-SAW]
- The Political Framework of Democratic Socialism (Presented by Geoff Kurtz, Rutgers YDS]
- Media and Art [Presented by Katrina Ice, YDS Co-Chair]
- Building and Working In Coalitions
Kirk Owen, Kentucky Alliance Against Racist and Political Repression
Carol Kramer, FAIRNESS
Laura McSpedon, Jobs With Justice
Bill Allison, Former Louisville Alderman
- White Supremacy, Capitalism and Patriarchy: the three pillars of ruling-class hegemony
Dr. Ricky Jones, Professor of Pan-African Studies at UofL, Ricky Jones is a columnist for the LEO, member of the BRC and active in the peace and justice movements.
Eliyanna Kaiser, YDS National Organizer
- Anne Braden: Probably the most famous white civil rights activist / leader in the South, Anne Braden is the co-founder of the Alliance Against Racist and Political Repression. She, and her late husband, Karl, were targeted and persecuted by HUAC for their civil rights organizing. She is the author of The Wall Between.
- Pem Davidson Buck: Anthropology and Sociology professor from Elizabethtown Community College, Pem Buck is the author of Worked to the Bone: Race, Class, Power and Privilege in Kentucky
- Carol Kramer: Carol is on the board of Kentucky Jobs With Justice and an activist for FAIRNESS, a regional GLBTQ civil rights organization responsible for the Fairness Ordinances in Louisville and other cities guaranteeing civil rights protections for sexual minorities.
- Chris Sanders: Secretary-Treasurer of the Kentucky AFL-CIO, Chris is also an active member of Jobs With Justice and the CLC.
- Doug Johnson: Doug went to Iraq with Voices in the Wilderness as a Peace Team member (not a "human shield"]. He is active in the Louisville peace movement.
- Bob Cunningham: Member of the Kentucky Alliance, Bob is the organizer of West End for Peace and is active in the Justice movement.
- Zapat, a local free jazz band
- David Rovics, radical folk singer (www.davidrovics.com)
- Anarchist Fire show, just what it sounds like! It's really cool.
Housing and Meals provided with registration. Fee $20 - $50 sliding scale (no one will be turned away if you cannot pay, but please do if you can! We have to pay for all of this stuff!) Some travel subsidies available upon request (firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send checks to: DSA Fund at 180 Varick St., 12th floor New York, NY 10014. Register Today!
Any questions? Please email email@example.com
to edit this entry
Suggest a Change to this Entry
to write a comment.
Site Map 1
Find Radio Stations
Find TV Stations