Starting Date: 07-06-2008
Ending Date: 07-13-2008
The Meeting School
Rindge, New Hampshire 03461
202-548-4592The SSC's Student Environmental Leadership Trainings, led by the nation's top student organizers, are week-long sessions where you'll learn to develop effective groups and tackle serious environmental issues. By the end of the week, you'll be prepared to take what you have learned and put it into action on campus and in your community!
Here's what you'll learn:
* ORGANIZING 101: How to start and run an effective organization. We cover everything from recruitment, to running a meeting, to developing new leaders to ensure that your organization continues once you graduate.
* CAMPAIGN PLANNING: How to plan, implement, and run an effective environmental campaign. We use the Sierra Club Matrix to teach the most essential skills needed to effect real change.
* COMMUNICATION SKILLS: How to define your message and get it across confidently and persuasively to the media, to fellow group members, and to the public.
* GUEST SPEAKERS: You'll see and meet some amazing special guests-- Sierra Club experts and other speakers from organizations leading the national environmental movement. They'll brief you on today's most critical environmental issues and leave time for debate and discussion.
Of course, the program isn't all work and no play. In addition to the main focus of the program, you can expect to enjoy:
* The beautiful surroundings of a serene state park
* Hikes, games, and energizing evening activities
* Delicious vegetarian cooking
* The company and friendship of like-minded students
Once you're back at school, you and the other great student activists you've met will be prepared to tackle serious environmental and social justice issues. . .and win!
Geographical Scope: Regional