Starting Date: 09-19-2008
Ending Date: 09-21-2008
Durham, North Carolina 27701
United States15 Years of SONG means 15 years of LGBTQ people in the South working to vision a new world, transforming to make that world possible, struggling for justice, and persisting in hope when freedom seems impossible. OUR COMMUNITIES ARE THE REAL REASON TO CELEBRATE!
For the 15th anniversary we are hosting parties all over the country, doing a quote-collecting project to document the wisdom of members, and hosting a HUGE LGBTQ SOUTHERN-STYLE FAMILY REUNION IN DURHAM, NC SEP 19-21, 2008. For more info on SONG’s history, download this flyer: 15th-anniversary-flyer-with-history.doc
JOIN US FOR A HOMECOMING IN DURHAM, SEPTEMBER 19-21, 2008
YOU SHOULD COME IF YOU:
…are feeling isolated from other LGBTQ folk who believe Another World Is Possible.
…are longing to be with LGBTQ Family who desire us ALL to feel whole and be free from all oppression.
…are inspired by SONG and our awesome members and want to celebrate the 15th Anniversary with other LGBTQ folks and allies.
…Want to meet other wonderful LGBTQ folks of color, immigrants, and working class folk of many ages, abilities, and persuasions!
DOWNLOAD THE INVITE LETTER FROM SONG CO-DIRECTORS ON WHY YOU SHOULD NOT MISS THIS: invitation-letter.doc
DOWNLOAD THE INVITE LETTER IN SPANISH TO SHARE WITH FOLKS IN YOUR COMMUNITY: invitation-letter-esp.doc
CHECK OUT THE HOT SOUTHERN SCHEDULE HERE..THEN DOWNLOAD IT AND SHARE IT WITH YOUR FOLKS: 15th-weekend-schedule.TIF
OR DOWNLOAD THE SCHEDULE IN SPANISH TO SHARE:
OR REGISTER IN SPANISH: registration-esp-final.doc
FINISH YOUR REGISTRATION WITH THIS FORM–PLEASE CONSIDER GIVING TO THE FREEDOM FIGHTER FUND IN HONOR OF SOMEONE WHO MADE YOUR LIFE POSSIBLE..IT HELPS KEEP SONG ALIVE! OR…GET TOGETHER WITH A GROUP TO HONOR SOMEONE WITH A PROGRAM AD–CONTACT ALBA FOR MORE DETAILS!: freedom-fighter-form.doc
FREEDOM FIGHTER FUND IN SPANISH: freedom-fighter-form-esp.doc
HELP US GET THE WORD OUT..ALL ARE INVITED BUT ONLY A LIMITED NUMBER CAN COME, SO REGISTER SOON!
QUOTE-COLLECTING PROJECT: WHAT IS IT? HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
Purpose & Goals:
• To honor and celebrate SONG and our shared vision by bringing together truths from our communities.
• To build shared values, conviction and resiliency in our region by asking our folks to share one of their own personal truths drawing from their lives of living, loving, and working/organizing in the South.
• To assemble all the gathered quotes and create a zine-like document to be disseminated all over the South, the country, and on the SONG website.
Theme: Loosely drawn from Dorothy Allison’s 1996 Book, Two or Three Things I Know for Sure, we feel that we are at a historic moment where it is important to not only look back at our region’s work over the past 15 years, but also acknowledge all the wisdom that is held by our people. We do know some things for sure, and we should remember and share what we know.
• The member-led, collecting process will be happening at workshops, gatherings, the SONG Organizing School, and at our campouts.
• Unveiling of the quotes collected will occur during the SONG 15th Anniversary Celebration in Durham, NC on September 19-21, 2008.
Do you want to submit a quote? Do you want to gather a group of friends together to talk, collect quotes and submit them to SONG? The attached page has all the info you need!
Geographical Scope: National