Starting Date: 03-18-2011
Starting Time: 6:00pm
Ending Date: 03-20-2011
Western Kentucky University
Bowling Green, Kentucky 42101
United StatesDo you want to change the world and have a say in how the next chapter in the history books is written? Does your vision for the future include justice, equality and sustainability?
Imagine being a part of a social movement greater than yourself. All of the great leaders throughout history were once students just like you and college campuses have been at the root of many successful social movements throughout history.
This year United Students for Fair Trade (USFT), together with a coalition of partners, is launching a new movement in America called Fair Trade Universities.
Our goal is simple: to fight global poverty by empowering farmers in developing countries to overcome hardship.
We do so by campaigning to swap out products on college campuses with Fair Trade alternatives (like coffee, tea, and chocolate.)
These Fair Trade alternatives guarantee farmers a fair price for their labor, eliminate child slavery, promote gender equality, environmental sustainability and much more.
We will be kicking off this new movement at our national convergence appropriately named ‘Igniting a Movement: Fair Trade Universities.”
This will be your chance to learn how to Fair Trade your University or High School.
* Meet up with a diverse coalition of young leaders across lines of age, race, class and geography.
* Get the skills you need to launch your own successful campaign at your college or high school.
* Browse a market with national Fair Trade vendors; get info on jobs and internship opportunities and stock up on hard to find Fair Trade goodies.
This event will include:
* Live Music, Local Food and Fair Trade coffee and tea
* Interactive workshops and activities
* Keynotes and Panels with experts in the Fair Trade movement
* College clubs, teen youth groups, young activists
* Whether you’re new to the Fair Trade movement or a young veteran, this event is a great opportunity to learn more, get connected and take action!
When and Where?
* Western University, Bowling Green, KY
* Friday March 18th- Sunday 20th, 2011
Geographical Scope: International