Starting Date: 07-16-2004
Ending Date: 07-18-2004
212-283-8879The League is thrilled to announce
Smackdown 2004: Building a Voter Bloc Nation
July 16-18 in Columbus, OH
The League of Pissed Off Voters National Convention
This will be the FRESHEST voter organizing convention ever! You will come as a delegate from your local voter organizing group, hopefully in teams of two or more. We will start by presenting a skeleton 90 day plan for getting the progressive youth vote out in your community. You will then self-track into small working groups and consult with our resident KICK ASS voter organizing experts who will help you tailor your plan to the needs of the community you're organizing!
You will leave certified as a League Voter Organizer.
You do not need to be a sophisticated voter organizer to attend this training. Workshops will be available for organizers with all levels of experience!
A taste of what's to come:
INTRO TO THE LEAGUE
* who we are, what we’re doing
* League strategy: what it means to build a voter bloc nation
* definitions: what is a voter bloc? what is peer to peer politics? what is a precinct captain? what does a field manager do?
* what will November 2nd look like?
* the basics of electoral politics and a Get Out The Vote (GOTV) campaign
* voter files: getting them, understanding them, and using them
* the finer points of voter registration
* effective voter education on issues
* helping your people vote
* absentee and early voting
* creating a GOTV plan unique to your community’s needs
* GOTV in rural/ex-urban/urban communities
BUILDING YOUR LOCAL GROUP:
* mobilizing your networks - online and offline
* building a chapter/volunteer base
* leadership: pimping your personality
* working with artists
* starting your own PAC
* staying legal - tax status issues
* holding a press conference and getting media coverage
* keeping track of data, registrations, volunteers
* how to throw dope-ass voter reg parties and election night victory parties!
CREATING AN ENDORSEMENT SLATE BASED ON WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN:
* researching local candidates and issues
* building relationships with candidates and campaigns
* presenting candidates with your group’s agenda
* endorsing candidates
* creating a kick ass voter guide and blanketing your city with it!
* getting people to pledge to vote your slate
ROCKIN YOUR COMMUNITY:
* planning trainings
* holding strategy sessions
* building local progressive alliances
* organizing immigrant communities
* organizing high school students
* electoral organizing in campuses vs. communities
TECHNOLOGY AND VOTER MOBILIZATION:
* using technology to create a voting bloc - the IndyVoter.org web platform, friend of a friend software, online voter files
ELECTION PROTECTION AND VOTING RIGHTS:
* Educating people on their rights
* HAVA, voting machines, election protection, voter intimidation
* felon re-enfranchisement
BEYOND ELECTION 2004: Building a sustainable progressive movement
* holding politicians accountable
* proving the votes: demonstrating your power as a voting bloc
* building up local issues and groups
* grooming your peeps to run for office
Plus we have a TON of surprises in store for you!
Registration is only $35 and includes ALL TRAININGS, FOOD, AND ACCOMODATIONS from breakfast Friday July 16 through lunch Sunday July 18.
REGISTER NOW at http://www.indyvoter.org/article.php?id=72
Geographical Scope: National