Starting Date: 03-11-2005
Ending Date: 03-19-2005
P.O. Box 1188
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514
919-960-6886STUDENTS OF THE CAROLINAS MEET MEXICO
Visit rural Mexico and see first-hand the roots of migration
March 11-19th, 2005
On the delegation you will have the unique opportunity to:
* Do something that makes an impact during Spring Break!
* Stay with a Mexican family and learn about conditions in the rural sector that cause people to migrate to NC.
* Meet with grassroots organizations and farmers about alternative and sustainable models.
* Meet with labor organizers, scholars, professionals and activists.
* Learn about how NAFTA and free trade affects the lives of small farmers and Mexican people in general
* Learn about ongoing struggles against current policies and corporate practices.
* Develop a grassroots organizing strategy to advocate for a more just society at home and abroad.
This trip is done in conjunction with Witness for Peace/CITCA which have been leading delegations to Latin America for more than 20 years. More info on them can be found at www.witnessforpeace.org
Cost: The cost will be $800 plus airfare. Apply by Feb. 1, 2005
For info, contact: Dr. Charlie Thompson, Duke (919)660-3657 or Dennis Markatos-Soriano of SURGE
Geographical Scope: International